Friday, January 24, 2014

Farming From Ridge To Reef

living coral reef
 
The earth is covered by seventy percent (70%) water and thirty percent (30%) land http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/earthhowmuch.html. The land as we know it, is surrounded by huge amount of water. We have to be mindful that whatever we do on the land can affect the water (rivers and sea).

 Our business should be geared at supplying the right commodities to our customers and consumers. As much as it should generate profit, it should also be able to protect the environment. Bad agricultural practices can affect the cycle of what goes on in our waters.

dead coral reef
I have been diving for about six years (6) and never knew that corals are living organisms. The coral reef's acts as a safe havens for many of the fish and the eggs they lay. The coral reefs also provide food for some species of fish. If we were to lose our reefs, we would affect the multiplication process of what goes on in our waters.

 when fertilizers get washed down into our rivers and streams, the nutrients they carry causes the algae on the reefs to grow rapidly. When that happens the algea covers the  corals, preventing them from breathing, and eventually they die. Also when we have animal pens near to our rivers and the waste is washed directly into these rivers the nutrients from these waste also cause algae to spread at a rapid rate.

 In order for me to protect the marine life I has to apply good agriculture practices. I have created a buffer zone about six feet from the river bank. This buffer zone would trap whatever fertilizer nutrients that water would carry down from drains on the farm. Where the land is sloping, I use contour drains to control the flow of water. I try my best to use as much compost manure as possible.

 The Great Barrier Reef authority Australia
http://greatbarrierreef.org/,  has taken the initiative to tend to the preservation of coral reefs. Through the Grenada marine protected area http://www.scubatech-grenada.com/en/news/494-grenada-marine-protected-area-now-official and the North East Farmers Organization http://climateandreefs.org/blog/2013/11/11/farmers-tend-the-reef-in-paradise this project is on the way in Grenada. I am one of the reef guardian farmers who vowed to help sustain our marines areas through good agriculture practices.

Now, I am careful of what I do on my farm knowing very well it can affect what goes on underneath the sea. I have taken the initiative to  farm both ridge to reef, playing my part in sustainable agriculture and its continued development. And passing it on to my children.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment